The CalPoly Wheelmen are presenting the 2006 Parkfield Classic Mountain Bike Race on September 30th and October 1st. The race, held just north of San Luis Obispo in Parkfield, CA, features a full two days of racings:
- Cross Country (XC): One of the only point to point races still around. This course has it all: narrow single track, big lung busting fire road climbs and long screaming descents. Distances: Beginner: 9 miles, Sport: 15 miles, Pro/Expert: 24 miles
- Duel Slalom (DS): Two courses merge into one for an exciting head to head race on our improved dual slalom course with big berms and jumps. One qualifying run. The 16 fastest qualifiers in each category will go head to head in single elimination rounds. Fastest qualifier in each race gets lane choice. This picture is worth coming all by itself.
- Downhill (DH): Single Run format. Our downhill course is 100% single track and features tight turns, high speed G-outs, and exciting drops. New this year rock gardens will challenge your skills while taking you through the trees. Bypasses are given for most obstacles. Expert and Sport courses are different.
- Short Track Cross Country (STXC): Fast paced XC racing on a specator friendly short course.
- Friday: registration opens onsite and camping
- Saturday: XC racing in the morning, DS racing in the afternoon
- Sunday: DH in the morning and STXC in the afternoon
Event: Parkfield Classic
Dates: September 30th - October 1, 2006
Location: Parkfield, CA [ MAP ]. Parkfield is about 2 hours south of San Jose.
Competition: XC, STXC, DS, DH
Cost: $40 (discounts for multiple events and collegiate racers)
Registration: race day onsite