It's downhill update day! I got an update from the CCCX DH organizer (thanks Keith!) about this weekend's kickoff race down in Monterey:
- Race #1 is about 1.7 miles in length and features fire roads, single track, switch backs, tight sections and open sections. The dirt is hard packed and there is loose sections and tire choice will be at a premium. Most of the trail is on fun riding sections and there is one small pedaling section to check your fitness. There is also water bars on most of this course so be sure and pay attention when on route.
- This weekend's course is a mixture of everything in the 4 minute plus run. Keith estimates that "most racers will take around 4:30 or so to do this course. Some will be closer to 4 minutes, others closer to 5 minutes."
- To get to the start, you hike up Barlow Canyon trail. There will be maps provided at registration for the course route and the hiking route to the start.
- There will be registration and course inspection on Saturday (8/19/06) from 2:00 pm to 5:00 pm. The course will not be fully marked until this time(2:00 p.m.). Riders must follow all park rules when inspecting the course on Saturday before the Sunday race. Toro Park bicycle speed limits are in effect and riders must control speed and share trails with other park users.
- Race day practice on Sunday (8/20) is from 8:00 am to 11:45 am. First time trial run is 12 noon. This is a time trial format. One rider will be sent on course at a time, time gaps will be 1 minute between starts. It takes approximately 30-35 minutes to hike to the start. Be sure and allow enough time when leaving parking/registration area to make it to the start and your selected start time. You should head to the start 40 minutes before your scheduled start time just to allow enough time.