Q: Where can riders find qualification races and/or series?You also qualify if you were in the top 10 of last year's Cougar Mountain Classic.
A: The qualification races for the 2006 USAC National MTB Championships are NORBA State and Regional Championships, American Mountain Bike Challenge (AMBC) events, Alison Dunlap Junior Olympic Mountain Bike (ADJOMTB) events for juniors, NORBA National Mountain Bike Series (NMBS) events, and the USA Cycling Junior Development Mountain Bike Camps.
I am a little hazy about this language. It seems to say that only state / regional championship races qualify, but I see people on the qualfier list from series races. However, following these rules, I believe the only qualifying race left on the NorCal / NorNevada calendar are:
- Bigfoot Classic (June 29 - July 2, 2006 in Arcata, CA) for XC and DH
- Pinenut Cracker (May 20th in Garnerville, CA) for XC
- Peavine Challenge (June 4th, 2006 in TBD, Northern Nevada) for XC
- Deer Valley (NMBS #4 on July 8th & 9th in Park City, UT) for MTX, XC and DH
- Big Bear ShootOut #1 (May 21st in Big Bear Lake, CA) for XC
- Cal State DH Championship (Southridge, CA on June 4th, 2006) for DH
I'm hoping that there are some more qualfiying opportunities so I'm checking with USA Cycling and will update this as necessary. The National Championship site is being updated and registration will be opening tomorrow at 5PM. Leave a comment if you have any information to add. Otherwise, I expect to see a lot of people in Arcata come late June.